Our Practicum and Internship Program is designed to give graduate students a unique opportunity to gain clinical experience in a private practice setting. We expect our interns to be dedicated to their clinical work, invested in the outcomes of their clients, and committed to gaining a deep understanding of how counseling works.
If you intern with us, you’ll learn how to blend a psychodynamic approach with family systems theory. We’ll teach you how to help clients understand the ways their past impacts their present, and how the relationships they’ve had with attachment figures from their childhood impact the relationships they have with people now.
In addition to clinical strength, you should understand that being in a private practice setting means more responsibility. Throughout your internship you’ll learn how to convert leads to new clients, market yourself as a counselor, and talk to your clients about money and fees.
You’re a good fit for Our Whole Living Counseling’s Practicum & Internship Program if…
- You have an interest in either couples counseling or trauma counseling (or both!)
- Our Whole Living Counseling is known for two things: Couples Counseling and Trauma Counseling. Most of the people who contact us are looking for one of those two things. If you’re not interested in working with couples or trauma, we probably aren’t your best fit.
- You want to do deep clinical work
- Though we blend a few different counseling theories, Psychodynamic Theory is at the heart of the work we do. We shy away from Solution Focused and Cognitive Behavioral styles of counseling and prefer a slower, deeper approach to our work with clients.
- You’re thinking about private practice one day
- The students who thrive in our internship program are the students who want to learn more about the business side of counseling. If your end goal is community mental health, teaching, school-based or another mental health setting, we encourage you to find an internship site that is more closely aligned with your end goal.
The biggest perk!
We know how hard it is to make it through your internship year. Finding time and energy for life, family, a job, classes, AND internship is near impossible. That’s why we’ve started to offer paid internships for people who have successfully completed a practicum with us.
Internship placements are Our Whole Living are highly competitive. If you’re interested in applying to our Practicum & Internship Program, please email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Your current resume
- A short writing prompt (200-500 words) on why you’re a good fit for our us and why we’re a good fit for you!
Have questions? Contact us here.